Older Pixels have been getting many Pixel 3 camera features before Google’s official update, thanks to Developers. Google says Top Shot is a Pixel 3 exclusive among others and won’t come to the older Pixels. But, a few Redditors got Top Shot working on Pixel 2 with Pixel 3’s Google Photos App.
CameraP3 and CameraP3v5 are Google Camera ports that bring Night Sight and few other features to Pixel and Pixel 2. But, it’s funny that you can get Top Shot on a Pixel 2 or Pixel 2XL by just sideloading Pixel 3’s Google Photos App. There’s no modding or APK hacking involved. One is left to wonder how Redditors – FuegoInfinito and rayw_reddit discovered this.
Detailed Instructions: How to get Top Shot on Pixel 2?
Without further ado, let’s see how you can get Top Shot working on your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2XL. First, let’s see how to install Pixel 3’s Photos App on Pixel 2. Here are the steps:-
- Download Pixel 3’s Google Photos APK.
- On your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Photos.
- Press Disable and then select Disable app.
- Now, it will say the Photos app will be replaced with the factory version. Press OK.
- Install Pixel 3’s Google Photos APK on Pixel 2.
Remember that the Pixel 3’s Photos APK we use here has a version number – 126.96.36.199789934. This is the version with which Top Shot works on Pixel 2. On your Pixel 2, you might have a higher version of Photos App. In that case, you won’t be able to install the downloaded APK. The 3rd step above makes sure that you remove the updates to Photos app on your Pixel 2 so that you can install the desired APK with ease.
How to use Top Shot on Pixel 2?
Now that you have installed Pixel 3’s Photos App on your Pixel 2, let’s use Top Shot. It’s essentially the same as on Pixel 3. For this, it’s mandatory to use Google Camera. CameraP3 and CameraP3v5, which are essentially Google Camera ports also work fine. Follow these steps:-
- On Pixel 2, open Google Camera and switch to Camera Mode.
- Switch Motion On. Check by choosing the second option on the top from left.
- Capture a photo.
- Go to Google Photos and open the photo you just captured.
- Swipe up and below the photo details, you will see a line of clips. Scroll through to get the perfect Top Shot.
Top Shot on Pixel 2 in Action Live
Here’s a quick GIF showing Top Shot on Pixel 2XL:-
We have already tried the Pixel 3 photos APK with Google Camera Port on a OnePlus 6. But, the app force closes when swiping up. But, we believe other phones will get the feature soon. We will keep you updated. Let us know in the comments if you face any issues.